Thursday, May 28, 2009

Owen's Birthday/Family Fun Day!


Family Fun day at Cobb Park in Marietta was almost 2 weeks ago. The boys and I headed down Friday afternoon since the festivities were to start at 9:30 Saturday morning. That's an ungodly hour for us to be put-together and arriving on time, but we did it!! We picked up my mom to come with us, since I'm a wuss and rarely like to go alone with my 2 boys! So she was a huge help :) So good to see sorority sisters again, and good to see so many friends and family in support of Kari, Lyle, and Dominic Judson. We assembled up the hill at a pavillion, and then headed down to the park for the dedication of the bouncy ride-on car and park bench in honor of Dominic's twin brother Alexander. And I was fine until I saw Alexander's portrait, which was the same as the one at his memorial service in January. And then I just lost it. Embarrassed to be crying before the dedication even began, I headed over to my mom who was with Owen and Erik, and she rescued me with tissues! So I missed the meaningful words that were said, and I'm sorry for that. But at the same time was trying to keep Erik away from the crowd. They saw the car tied up in a blue ribbon and wanted on it ASAP! I could reason with Owen, but Erik was making a beeline for the crowd and I just knew he was going to climb up on it before the ribbon had even been cut! So I tried to quiet his screams without looking like an abusive mother, egads! But in the end, the boys finally got to ride, whew!





Rock is on vacation this week, and he claims that's why we're getting so much rain. I told him if we actually WENT somewhere on his vacation, it might not be raining THERE! Luckily each day, the sun has peeked out after the rain, and we've been able to go swimming with the boys and actually cooked out for Memorial day. Nothin' like burgers and dogs on the grill, yum!

Today is Owen's 5th birthday! Hard to believe! It was like Christmas this morning, with him wanting to open presents first thing! He and Rock started playing the Mario Kart game he got for the wii, and Erik was content to play with the Planet Heroes (?!) and tear apart the Transformers Owen got. The boys have never had any of the Planet Heroes, but the big toy sets were on clearance at Toys R Us, so that's what they got! And what's up with Transformers?!?! Owen wants to keep them in vehicle form, and Erik wants to pull them apart. I think a graduate degree in something quite technical is required to transform them back. What was I thinking?!



The boys have never been to Chuck E. Cheese's, so that's where we were going to celebrate the big 5! But first I wanted Owen to get a haircut. He's looking seriously shaggy, and I knew we'd be taking loads of pictures from today and through the weekend, when the grandparents are all here. So we went to Snip-Its, which is where Owen likes to go. We get there and are told the wait will be 30-45 mins. Urgh. I already feel antsy, but we sit and wait anyway. 2 hairdressers. 2 people already in the chairs. One pre-teen in line. One pregnant mom with THREE girls to have done. Us. Another lady with 2 kids. Pre-teen gets seated and THREE girls go to the other hairdresser. Once pre-teen is done, hairdresser disappears to the back. And then I see the receptionist show her shirts, skirts, etc, from a bag she's pulled out. Receptionist returns, but hairdresser doesn't. Um? What are we waiting for?! Then somebody else walks in and gets seated with the missing hairdresser. Are you kidding me?! Do they DO appointments here? I don't know if the other gal seated with her 2 kids is ahead of me or not, and I've totally lost patience at this point. So I tell Rock we're leaving and put Owen's prize card on the counter. As I'm dragging him out the door, he's asking, "where's my prize?!" and I practically growl, "you don't get one if you don't get your haircut, let's go!" so as we're packing the kids in the car the receptionist came out and apologized to Rock and said Owen was next. Whatever. There's a Great Clips up the street that I'm pretty sure charges less and is about 10 miles closer. Good grief.

Then, it's on to Chuck E. Cheese! Where you would think my mood would become even more foul, but we had a GREAT time! Didn't hurt that it was just before 3pm on a Thursday, I guess. We had a coupon, so appeared to save about $10. The pizza was really good!!! And Rock loved the free beverage refills. We had 100 tokens and after 2.5-3 hrs, had spent every one! Usually the boys see machines/games when we go places and I always tell them no. It was freeing to hand out tokens like they were jellybeans! The boys had fun, and we did, too! Who knew?! We came home and had cake, and lit sparklers in the backyard and played more with the toys and wii. Originally I'd felt guilty about not having a big party with assorted kids, but our family day was really great! :)


No comments: